Sunday 27 April 2014

Week 14, Various: Wild Flower Bonanza


    Bluebells & Stitchwort
    Bugle
    Bugle

    Common Spotted Orchid
    Herb Robert
    Cuckoo Flower

    Bluebell (white, native variety)
    Germander Speedwell

Everything I know about wild flowers can be written on a postage stamp. And, a small one at that. Orchid and wild flower enthusiasts will no doubt wince in pain at my ignorance. With rain forecast for today (the brilliant sunshine streaming through my window right now is obviously just an illusion), I thought I’d put together a selection of some of the wild flowers I’ve photographed this week around Box Moor.

The leading image is of the Bluebells in Hay Wood. This was taken during a momentary break in the clouds yesterday morning. I would have liked a choice of location but this is where I was when the sun came out. Simple as that.

All around Hay Wood, there are areas where Stitchwort (I’m not sure if it is Lesser or Greater?) is mixed in with the Bluebells. It makes for an especially pretty combination.

At the south-western end of Bovingdon Reach, clumps of Bugle (Ajuga reptans) have sprung up and will be a good source of nectar for butterflies over the coming weeks.

Dellfield is awash with Cowslips and Dandelions but there are also now the beginnings of orchid growth. I’m looking forward to photographing the Oak when this particular Common Spotted orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii) comes into flower. It is positioned perfectly.

Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) is another common little flower all around Box Moor. This one's from Hay Wood.

Cuckoo Flower (Cardamine pratensis), so called, I think, because it comes into flower during the Cuckoo’s arrival in the UK. It’s another important food source for butterflies, especially Orange-tips. This specimen is on Bovingdon Reach.

Finally, the white Bluebell, which I think is native (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) (rather than a hybrid of the Spanish variety, judging by its pollen colour, structure and scent) was in Ramacre Wood. However, there are also a few in the eastern run of Hay Wood. Germander Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys) is all around Box Moor. This particular plant was in Lower Roughdown.

Right, time for some lunch. Have a lovely Sunday afternoon all.

No comments: